• To combat spam, scammers, and other nefarious users, all new registrants must be manually approved by the staff. To expedite this process, please reference your profile on mgtow.tv or other social platforms. Also, this forums is 18 and over.

Let's talk stock market investing basics

SPECTRE

Plenty of people on the internet are interested in investing in stocks but they just don't know what to do. So I made an introductory video about investing some time ago and thought we could chat here if anyone has questions. This thread is NOT for giving tips or discussing each others' portfolios but about the investing in stock markets itself. For the novices that are maybe struggling with the entire concept or what to actually do.

One rule: no crypto talk here.

freerangefornicator

Staff member
Is there any MGTOW who lives in UK and talks about investing while living in UK? I wish there would be someone like Monkey, but only UK version.

3 Comments
SPECTRE
SPECTRE commented
location does not matter. i guess you are interested in taxes and not investing?

DarthPennywise
DarthPennywise commented
well taxes and other government regulations... as someone who doesn't live in the UK i have no idea what their economic policies look like in real life

F
freerangefornicator commented
Darth understood what I meant. I'm interested in investments in UK according to how its government acts.

crimsoncapsule

Thank you for the "no crypto talk here" disclaimer.

One thing that I find that everyone should know but is never taught anymore in public schools is the investing/debt rough approximation "rule of 72" - the result of 72 divided by your [debt, investment, loan, credit card balance] interest rate as an integer is the number of years it will take for the [debt, investment, loan, credit card balance] to double.

2 Comments
DarthPennywise
DarthPennywise commented
im pretty sure i was one of the last people in the US to have a basic economics class in high school (graduated back in 2003) and Dr. Miller my Econ teacher really drove the rule of 72 home...now i didnt take his advice and invest 1000 dollars in mutual funds back when i was 18...but i found some good market competitive funds to invest in about a decade ago...and im definitely up over all even with all the bullshit of the past 17 months.

crimsoncapsule
crimsoncapsule commented
I learned it in grade 5, my children never encountered it in their schooling (obviously they didn't need it as I gave it to them)

DarthPennywise

Staff member
Plenty of people on the internet are interested in investing in stocks but they just don't know what to do. So I made an introductory video about investing some time ago and thought we could chat here if anyone has questions. This thread is NOT for giving tips or discussing each others' portfolios but about the investing in stock markets itself. For the novices that are maybe struggling with the entire concept or what to actually do.

One rule: no crypto talk here.
You definitely had me at the TFM rule of No Crypto Smooth Brains

Comment

SPECTRE

For novices, I would recommend to follow Phil Town. He's very basic and to the point type of investor. He has a YT channel and few books where the Rule #1 is worth the 10 bucks.

Comment

SPECTRE

I personally won't be recommending any brokers here since I use a local, non american, one with limited reach and since I don't have personal experience with others. But I will at least mention that the following brokers denied or restricted their clients to trade gamesop when the SHTF and essentially caused massive financial damages to their clients in favour of big investment funds that did the shorting.

I don't have a full list so just some that were mentioned in the news: Robinhood, TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab, Webull, IB, E*Trade.

These are the brokers I would simply avoid altogether because they do not have their clients' best interests in mind.

Comment